Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Server Donations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sartan

PostSubject: Server Donations   Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:08 am

Is it possible to donate money to the server? If so, would we receive special gifts (items, exp, ect.) for doing so? Iv looked all over the webpage and forum and could not find anything related to this, but who wouldnt want free money, right?
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Server Donations   Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:23 am

It is an interesting question and one that has been raised a number of times in the past, by players and by admin.

The basic principle of the game was free play. There was no charge to play and you could get anything in the game if you were good enough and played enough.

I must confess to playing other games that said they were free but either made it so you could not advance past a certain point without paying or advanced so slowly it was not worthwhile. I did not stick with them.

Would it be nice to get some money to pay the server costs - yes.
Is the player base big enough that small "donations" would make a difference - questionable.

I can't remember the server costs off the top of my head but I would guess you would need 100 players paying about $15 per head to come close to paying the annual costs of running the game. The chances of that are fairly remote. Or alternatively we would need to "sell" 1,000 items at $1.50 per item. Not sure what costs are charged by an online payment system that would eat into that amount.

The last time we discussed it we concluded that the player base was too small to warrant asking for contributions or trying to get special items that people would willing to pay for.

I don't want to make it so that players have to pay to play. I don't want it so that those who pay or buy items have an unfair advantage over those who play for free. I don't want it so that a few players who donate big expect special favours or privelidges.

So I am not sure where we would go from here.
Back to top Go down
bluesorc

PostSubject: Re: Server Donations   Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Might I suggest you give the donation a try?

Even if you pick up only $600 - $700 per year it would be help handle the costs a bit.

I really don't like the business of 'buying' special favors/playing advantages through donations/ Same as I do not like the fact that one has to join a clan in order to make use of the portals for scooting around the game (or is that no longer the case?)

I am prepared to pay $25 to play your fine game - no advantages solicited and none expected.

Bluesorc/Bluenose
Back to top Go down
flipper

PostSubject: Re: Server Donations   Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:50 pm

There are 2 issues with pay to play.

1) We are not set up for it and not too sure if we would be capable of implementing it. In addition, the resources required to implement new items that could be bought would take away from the resources that are already stretched thin in the overall game development.

2) DB states that we can use the code provided it makes no money. That can be interpreted two ways. A) We can charge to cover expenses but make no profit B) we can not charge at all. I am inclined to think that Option A is what is intended.

DB goes on to state that he can be contacted for a commercial licence.

We used to have a paypal button. I am not too sure what it will take to get that back in working order.

It gives me great joy that people are more than willing to contribute financially to the support of this beloved game.
Back to top Go down
Cyrus

PostSubject: Re: Server Donations   Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:55 pm

I would definitely be against purchasing in game items or in game rewards for donating. I also agree with bluesorc about the clan portals but that's a separate issue haha. However, I don't see the harm in having a donation button on the website where people could contribute if they were so inclined.
Back to top Go down
Odysseus

PostSubject: Re: Server Donations   Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Paypal button can be reinstated in about 5 mind tops, but in the year it was there no one used it once, then when wet decided against allowing players to pussy for items it nailed home that it was nothing more than clutter on the page. I don't mind putting it back up though for those just incase scenarios if its desired

PostSubject: Re: Server Donations   

Back to top Go down

Server Donations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Click Me For New Forum  :: Game Chat :: Town Square-
Jump to: