Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Death Count

Go down 
+4
Mikarah
Trashcan
donbo
Lordlava
8 posters

Should the player death count be shown in game
Yes - player death count should always be shown
Death Count I_vote_lcap56%Death Count I_vote_rcap
 56% [ 9 ]
No - The player death count should not be shown
Death Count I_vote_lcap6%Death Count I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Optional - a player should have the option to show their death count or not
Death Count I_vote_lcap38%Death Count I_vote_rcap
 38% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Lordlava

Lordlava

Death Count Empty
PostSubject: Death Count   Death Count Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 6:57 am

Some players have complained over the years that showing the player death count discourages then as it reminds them of their failures.

Note that this poll is not related to clan deaths nor does it affect the save system (related to luck).
Back to top Go down
donbo

Death Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Count   Death Count Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 8:35 am

I could see why some people would like to not see the death toll.

As for me optional would be fine turn it on or off with a command /showdeath for example.

Or another way would be to add a command like the ones for weapos/armors that would list deaths, and assuming it wouldn't be a pain to add
each death could be listed with causes.

So maybe /death would return a result of.

Died such and such a date from lizard
Died such and such a date from rd

etc.
Back to top Go down
Trashcan

Trashcan

Death Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Count   Death Count Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 6:17 am

Im kinda proud of my death count,my other player Drwho has 2nd most deaths in the game Smile
Back to top Go down
Mikarah

Death Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Count   Death Count Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 5:43 pm

I think it'd be nice if death and save counts were not shown. I don't really see the benefits to having it shown other than as a mark of achievement (which is totally understandable). For me personally though it's like a mark of imperfection -- e.g. if you missed a lab shrine and could never go back -- that kind of feeling where I just don't want to play the character anymore. It's a bit silly and irrational but just something that bugs me once I die or get saved on a character (I'm sure there are a few others who might feel the same way or share similar perfectionist tendencies).

On a side note, this has nothing to do with my hara that I recently scrapped because I got saved Wink ...but seriously, I feel like more players quit the game over ruining their record whereas removing the death count doesn't really harming anyone (and might even encourage people to be more bold in exploring new areas, fighting in the arena, etc. because there's not the added shame of accumulating death counts).

Just my two cents. Smile
Back to top Go down
Odysseus

Odysseus

Death Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Count   Death Count Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I think that the death counter has its place in game for those who want to keep a record of their achievements and compare with others, however I have also seen many players unwilling to take risks because they want to keep the perfect score and this is a sad way to play and experience the game. I have also witnessed fierce temper tantrums when that score was broken accidentally during LQ events- even when a player already has several deaths to their name. Sometimes I do wonder if the counter does more bad than good and i would like to think that I'd argue in favor of making the counter an optional feature If that was indeed possible. In addition I would also favor displaying the actual death and save rates separately for a more accurate representation of ones situation.
Back to top Go down
Fazza

Fazza

Death Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Count   Death Count Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 7:56 pm

I kind of agree that Having a 0 death score is really hampering how to play the game. Ive never had a toon with 0 deaths before and I was trying really hard on my merc and hara this time round but managed to die to stupid things.

Now im really just not caring other than trying not to die so I dont have to go get a grave haha.

Its a sad fact of playing a game with health, you can die, you will die. I suggest anyone who is scared of dying, play dark souls. You will die, and die often. hahaha.

As for people complaining about dying in an LQ. Its still 'real' monsters doing 'real' damage so if you die it should count regardless because a death is a death.

just my $.02
Back to top Go down
Redman

Death Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Count   Death Count Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 7:19 am

Maybe give players the ability to toggle the death and save counts similar to walls, names and health. That way, if someone doesn't want to see their record then they can turn it off. However, those that want to see everyones records still have the ability to see them.

Its easy to play this game with no deaths or saves. IMO, doesn't seem like a very fun way to play the game and enjoy it to its full potential.
Back to top Go down
Urdadi

Urdadi

Death Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Count   Death Count Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 7:38 am

Redman wrote:
Maybe give players the ability to toggle the death and save counts similar to walls, names and health. That way, if someone doesn't want to see their record then they can turn it off. However, those that want to see everyones records still have the ability to see them.

Its easy to play this game with no deaths or saves. IMO, doesn't seem like a very fun way to play the game and enjoy it to its full potential.

+1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Death Count Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Count   Death Count Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death Count
Page 1 of 1