Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old XP computer with no network connection?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Location : https://aranock.rpg-board.net/profile?mode=editprofile

Old XP computer with no network connection? Empty
PostSubject: Old XP computer with no network connection?   Old XP computer with no network connection? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Since Aranock doesn't run on my Windows 8 laptop and I didn't feel like screwing with an XP VM, I decided to get creative and run the game on an old XP computer that I have had for 10 years or so . The only problem is that I had no way to connect it to my home network for Internet... no Ethernet cable since I use wireless for everything else.

I got to looking around and eventually turned my Android phone (Galaxy Note 2) into a make-shift wireless USB modem. Here's how:

1st, make sure your phone can connect to your home Wifi. Then you need to get the USB drivers for the Windows XP box from your phone manufacturer's website. Getting the drivers on the computer was a problem as it isn't connected to the network, thus has no Internet. My phone has a removable Micro-SD card, so I downloaded the drivers to it and then used MicroSD-to-SD adapter and a cheap Targus USB memory card reader I had laying around to transfer the drivers. I had left my laptop at work or I could have just downloaded everything to it and burned a CD or used a memory stick...

And then you'll also have to install the Windows PDANet version onto the computer (http ://pdanet. co/a/ [remove the spaces]) and the Play store version onto the phone.

After that, simply turn on USB Debugging Mode on the phone, start PDANet on both systems and hook the phone in via the USB cable that came with it. Done!

If the phone is connected to the Wifi and Mobile Data is off, it'll use you Wifi connection. If you're out and about (like with a laptop), you can also use your phone's Internet connection to play.
Back to top Go down
Solent

PostSubject: Re: Old XP computer with no network connection?   Old XP computer with no network connection? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 5:16 pm

wow that is very creative.

I bet iphone can't do that
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Old XP computer with no network connection?   Old XP computer with no network connection? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 2:06 am

I have used the phone to tether to my laptop when travelling but I have never gone to the measures described above.

Well done.
Back to top Go down
Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Location : https://aranock.rpg-board.net/profile?mode=editprofile

PostSubject: Re: Old XP computer with no network connection?   Old XP computer with no network connection? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 6:43 pm

My phone company wants extra $$$ every month to tether using their app, so that was out. I'm already paying them good money a month. My cell bill is 3 times what my land-line costs me a month and I only get 10 gigs of 4g usage.

At any rate, this works for me. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old XP computer with no network connection?   Old XP computer with no network connection? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old XP computer with no network connection?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Click Me For New Forum  :: Game Chat :: Town Square-
Jump to: