Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I need a computer program

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Iktomi

Iktomi

I need a computer program Empty
PostSubject: I need a computer program   I need a computer program Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 4:18 pm

I know lots of players are known for their computer knowledge so I thought you all would be the best to ask.

I'm looking for a computer program that would allow me to insert data, preferably in something like a word document or pdf. I'd like this program to be able to use a search function that pulls at certain words in the word document or pdf.

My project is to take Outdoor trip data for a local camp and put it into something computerized so that it can be easily added and also easily searched.

If anybody can help me let me know please
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: I need a computer program   I need a computer program Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 4:17 am

Excel has VBA that can do what you want depending on the degree of sophistication that you want. Excel is widely available and so easily accessible.

I guess a few minutes to a few hours work depending on your skill level and how fancy you want to get.

Remember that Excel is not a true database so it is limited on size dimensions depending on how many records you are likely to have.

Word, Access and the other MS Office programs also have similar capability but I do not tend to use them as much because Excel does 99% of what i need.

Most database packages will have a similar style language that sits behind them.

I believe Adobe also has some sort of Forms and database access capability if you have the right version of the software, although I have never used it in battle.
Back to top Go down
flipper

flipper

PostSubject: Re: I need a computer program   I need a computer program Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 6:22 pm

The first thing I would ask is what format is the original data going to be in and just how much data will there be?

As far as organizing Excel is a nice strong application. With the use of pivot tables, graphs, and the use of VBA it can do almost everything.
Back to top Go down
Iktomi

Iktomi

PostSubject: Re: I need a computer program   I need a computer program Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 8:09 pm

The data will be quite numerous I'm not quite sure how much let's just say the Camp has records for close to 100yrs. The original data is mainly in hand written documents. It would be nice to be able to scan the old data in but I would need something to add new data. Does this help with your questions, if not let me know.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: I need a computer program   I need a computer program Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 4:17 am

Excel can handle 64,000 records per sheet. You can have up to 256 sheets I think but scanning over sheets is a bit harder.

I suspect that is way more than you will be able to manually transscribe from hand written records in any forseeable timeframe.

If they had been typed records you could have used some Optical caharcter Recognition software (Adobe Writer or the like) but hand written is way harder.

I would suggest getting a subset, say 100 records, and playing with that to get the format and functionality as you want it before you go too far down the data entry route.

Think about codes and groups as seperate columns so that you can manipulate them later. e.g. A date with text on a field can not be sorted on. A date as a seperate field can be sorted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need a computer program   I need a computer program Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need a computer program
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Click Me For New Forum  :: Game Chat :: General chat-
Jump to: