Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Windows 8 compatibility

Go down 
+7
Urdadi
Mikarah
sweetnsouryugi
Nospells
lurker
Lordlava
Odysseus
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sweetnsouryugi

Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Well I downloaded Oracle VirtualBox, then i got ubuntu but when i try and download wine onto it, it seems to not work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:17 pm

'try and download wine' What about it is not working? What command are you using to download/install it?
Back to top Go down
Nospells

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 4:07 pm

I tried downloading the Applicaton Compatibility Toolkit 5.6 from Microsoft and it seems one can make Wonders with it.

Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Hcmb

Anyways i tried running it a few times and it seems to run with both sounds and everything with those settings. Only thing i havent figured out yet is how to export the fix to an actual distribution file.. So far i have to run Aranock from the program.

Also Alt-Tabbing seems to break it.
Back to top Go down
Odysseus

Odysseus

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 6:16 pm

I like this thread, there are some very creative minds here. I hope you can get wine to work sweetnsour Surprised There will be something youve forgotten xD

Hopefully however Nospells work/research might provide us with a better route in the ner future...cheers 
Back to top Go down
Nospells

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 10:10 pm

It seems that distributing the patch is the hard part.

1. Aranock must be extracted in a fixed location.
2. Installing the patch requires Admin rights in Windows 8 - Windows 8.1
3. You need to run a command line to install the .sdb file. (SDBinst.exe -p [Path of the sdb file])

I will try with a fresh extraced install to C:\aranock.
Then i will try to slowly add small changes to the fix and see when i hit the mark with the fix.
From there i sopose its a matter of making an guide and making the .sdb file available.

For the sake of viruses and trust i suggest one og ye gods makes the sdb file as soon as i figure out what the minimum need is.
Back to top Go down
Nospells

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Ok so i figured out that the only needed thing to fix the app sis actually the

Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation

I have a completed SDB file so just need to know where to send it or where to send instructions on how to make it.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 12:03 am

Send it to the gods email address.
aranockgods@hotmail.co.uk

It would be helpful to send a complete idiots guide with simple step by step instructions (assume almost computer illiterate audience).
Include any links that are needed.

I have access to XP, Vista and Win 7 PCs.
I will need to see if the kids will let me use their Win8 PC for the test.
Ody may have a Win8 machine?

Once fix is confirmed then we can post on Website and Forum and appreciation will come from all.
Back to top Go down
Urdadi

Urdadi

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 21, 2013 3:30 am

nice Nospells! gimme gimme
Back to top Go down
Nospells

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Nospells wrote:
Ok so i figured out that the only needed thing to fix the app sis actually the

Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation

I have a completed SDB file so just need to know where to send it or where to send instructions on how to make it.

Ok this is bugging me a bit but.. I just tried the same fix on my labtop. Worked about 0%...

I have it running on my home computer but aperantly the labtop runs some sort of screen rezising thing that makes it run in a different manner..

anyways this Means i need to get home from my Christmas Holiday before i can post a posibly working fix for some machines at least.
Back to top Go down
amanar

amanar

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 am

Have we found a solution to this yet?

My work laptop is running windows 8 and would love to log in sometimes
Back to top Go down
Urdadi

Urdadi

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am

I think nospells is close to forcing win8 to use directdraw. Until then, install XP inside a virtual machine. It definitely works, with an added bonus of being windowed.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 10:11 am

I will post a guide on this forum to installing a Windows XP Virtual Machine using Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Note that it requires you to have a Windows XP system disk.
Back to top Go down
Nospells

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 6:38 am

Lordlava wrote:
I will post a guide on this forum to installing a Windows XP Virtual Machine using Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Note that it requires you to have a Windows XP system disk.

a few days back i send a step by step guide to the goods using the ACT Tool to build a fix. It seems to work on stationary machines but aparently labtops are more complex for some weird reason.
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2014 5:37 am

I have also found a fix for Windows 8 that appears to work on my Win 8 PC.
The site says it works on NVidia graphics cards but is not reliable on AMD cards.

Down load some dll files to the Aranock game folder.
I still ran the game in XP compatibility mode.

This appeared to work for me but I can not guarantee it.
Directdraw patch

There is a separate link for AMD graphics cards but I have not tried it.

If enough people try it and it works then I can also post to the website.

Thanks to nospells for prompting me to look at this again now that I have a new PC (old graphics card died).

Last edited by Lordlava on Sat May 03, 2014 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dinin

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Just in time to help me get the game running on the windows 8 computer i finally recieved today Smile look forward to testing this out soon. Cya all in game soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Odysseus

Odysseus

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 5:03 am

This patch does work, there is also now a link on the same website for AMD cards
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 7:53 am

Ody,

Would you send me the link to the AMD DDL and I can include both in the download pack.
Back to top Go down
Aeld

PostSubject: A fix for Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 1:51 am

If anyone is still struggling with this I managed to get this solution to work:

gog.com/forum/icewind_dale_series/windows_81_directdraw_solution_for_iwd2

(add the w w w. at the start - i'm a new member so cannot post links)

Note: Follow the instructions by the 1st commenter so that the "aqrit.cfg" file reads:

RealDDrawPath = AUTO
BltMirror = 0
BltNoTearing = 0
ColorFix = 0
DisableHighDpiScaling = 1
FakeVsync = 0
FakeVsyncInterval = 0
ForceBltNoTearing = 0
ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1
NoVideoMemory = 1
SingleProcAffinity = 0
ShowFPS = 0

I assume that it is perhaps the [ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1] that makes it work but I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windows 8 compatibility   Windows 8 compatibility - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windows 8 compatibility
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2