Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Xavior

Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Empty
PostSubject: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:36 pm

I recently discovered a way to run old DirectDraw games (like Aranock) with incredibly smooth FPS. Here are the steps:

1) Go to http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html
2) Download ddwrapper.zip
3) Copy ddraw.dll and aqrit.cfg from the zip file to the directory with Aranock.exe
4) Open aqrit.cfg with a text editor
5) Set the following options in aqrit.cfg:
       FakeVsync = 1
       ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1
       NoVideoMemory = 2
       SingleProcAffinity = 1

These are the options that work best for me; your mileage may vary. NOTE: This will not work on Windows 8 because Windows 8 does not support DirectDraw in any capacity, AFAIK.

All of the options in the config file are documented on the website. I'm sure some of you (such as LL and Iktomi) would have a better understanding of them than I do. Feel free to post any appropriate tweaks to the setup above if you find something better.

Last edited by Xavior on Wed May 28, 2014 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 9:05 pm

Helped a bit. Thanks a million.
Back to top Go down
bubblecathie

bubblecathie

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 5:20 pm

I hope this fix my laptop problem...  drunken 
Back to top Go down
bubblecathie

bubblecathie

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:01 pm

worked! I recommand! Xavior for president!  rabbit 
Back to top Go down
Asmodeus

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 4:59 pm

bubblecathie wrote:
worked! I recommand! Xavior for president!  rabbit 

Thats very good news... I can't wait to test this out on my laptop. What version of windows did you use.
Back to top Go down
bubblecathie

bubblecathie

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Win7 Ultimate x64  cheers 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Best solution yet IMHO. Should be included in a separate folder with the download / a brief readme file telling Win8 users to move it to the main folder. cfg file pre-modded. Its not perfect but by far the best I've found for a solution, playable enough to chat ingame at least and see the world.
Back to top Go down
Fazza

Fazza

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Just worth mentioning;

If you use D3DWindower to make it run in windowed mode, it will no longer run in windowed. IT does work when launched from D3D however it does NOT run in windowed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 6:41 pm

Thats half true. There are some times when it will and when it wont run in windowed even under the same settings. There is something outside of the program such as admin or compatability mode that I cant quite pinpoint.
Back to top Go down
Fazza

Fazza

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 10:14 pm

I couldnt get it to run in windowed mode after I used the ddwrapper.

however I will have another look. Its a wonderful program none the less.

Older games certainly can be fickle beasts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)   Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using ddwrapper to get smooth FPS (Windows only)
Page 1 of 1