Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
This forum is now a read only archive. You can view the contents but you will not be able to make new posts and registration is closed to new members. Please visit our new forum at www.aranockonline.com/forum where our community is now based. Thank you for your patience!
Click Me For New Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

....Our community has moved to a new home. Please follow the link above. This forum is read only for posperity....

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training…

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
flipper

flipper

Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training… Empty
PostSubject: Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training…   Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training… Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Dear Ma and Pa:

I am well. Hope you are too. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer that the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you have to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m., but I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay... practically nothing. Men got to shave but it's not so bad... there's warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie, and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food plus yours holds you 'til noon when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

We go on "route marches," which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A "route march" is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The country is nice but awful flat. The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake. I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6" and 130 pounds and he's 6'8" and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join up before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding on in.

Your loving daughter,

Alice
Back to top Go down
Lordlava

Lordlava

PostSubject: Re: Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training…   Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training… Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 2:14 am

Nice twist.
Back to top Go down
Redman

PostSubject: Re: Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training…   Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training… Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Odysseus

Odysseus

PostSubject: Re: Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training…   Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training… Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:14 am

love it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training…   Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training… Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Letter from a farm kid now at Marine Corps Recruit Training…
Page 1 of 1